The organ at Trinity Cathedral was installed at the time of the church’s construction in the mid-1920s. It was built by Ernest M. Skinner and Company, who had developed a national reputation for building large organs for some of the most prestigious churches, concert halls, colleges, and auditoriums in the country. The organ’s initial specification was four manuals, forty-three stops, thirty-six ranks and 2,497 pipes, including an Echo chamber in the rear gallery containing four ranks of pipes.
The current specification of the organ can be found here. In addition to over one thousand pipes that have been added to the organ since the 1920s (including the Chamade trumpet, installed as a result of Trinity became a cathedral in 1970), two recent projects have occurred. The first, completed in 2001, added a number of digital stops to the instrument, enhancing both the organ's power and versatility. The second, completed in late 2013, involved the upkeep of the pipework already in existence, since much of the leatherwork required replacing in order to ensure the organ's ability to function reliably for decades to come. For over two years the organ's pipes, windchests and mechanical components were housed in the factory of R.A.Colby in Johnson City, Tennessee (click here to view the removal timelapse video), conveniently coinciding with the cathedral's renovation project.
The first Organist who is known to have played a concert on the original organ is Claude Murphree, who played both on February 30, 1930 and on March 11, 1946. Famous French virtuosi Marcel Dupré and André Marchal were heard in recital both in the 1930s and 1940s. Virgil Fox also played twice here during the 1940s and 1950s, where he was joined by Richard Elsasser and Arden Whitacre. More recently organists have included Bruce Neswick, Simon Johnson, Jonathan Dimmock, Jeremy Filsell, Richard Spotts and John Scott.